With fall just around the corner, we here in Fresno try to accomplish new goals, get a new fresh start and tidy up our homes. Getting healthy, organizing and bettering our lives' always seems to be at the top of the list. One space to start cleaning and organizing is the garage! That extra storage area that easily becomes a catchall for excess items. We have compiled a list of items that should not be stored in your garage for not only the better of the item, but also for safety. Get them out and reclaim your space.
- Paint- Because the garage is prone to extreme temperature changes, paint should not be stored in the garage. Recycle paint according to your county guidelines or donate it.
- Electronics- If you are putting electronics out in the garage, you must not be using them. Donate these items because they can’t withstand the temperature fluctuations and will easily break.
- Propane and Hazardous Chemicals- Proper ventilation is key for storage of propane and hazardous chemicals. For safety reasons, these items need to be stored outside.
- Food- Keeping food in the garage is an open invitation to rodents and insects. Although shopping in bulk can save money, storing extra food in the garage will cause problems. The moisture and humidity will spoil the food. Find room in the house for food storage.
- Cardboard boxes- Insects, mice and other rodents love cardboard. Invest in waterproof plastic bins to store your items.
Hope these tips will better assist you when cleaning up your Fresno home!
If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to call your local SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest at (559) 261-9765