Simple Step to Prevent Commercial Electrical Fires
As industry experts know, commercial electrical fires can be very dangerous and costly. When a commercial fire occurs, it can lead to the injury or death of the employees or customers present. Additionally, electrical fires can result in major property loss. SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest, a premier fire damage restoration company, will respond immediately to get you back in business. Luckily, most of these fires are preventable and can also be contained through maintenance of fixtures, employee training, and the facilitation of greater awareness regarding work hazards. Learn more about how to identify electrical hazards and reduce the incidence of a commercial fire by reading the following information:
Recognizing the Warning Signs
Electrical distribution systems contain several complex elements. These elements are capable of exposing commercial buildings to fire risks. Some of the areas of concern are:
- Corroded Wiring: Wiring that is old or defective can cause electrical fires. Although all wiring can start to break down at some point, the wiring exposed to corrosive substances or the outdoor environment is subject to faster degradation. Industrial facilities, multi-tenant warehouses, and farms should be attentive to their wiring given that it can be subject to extreme exposure to the elements.
- Circuits and Fuses: Tripped circuits and blown fuses are signs of overloaded outlets or circuits. These circuits and outlets can generate overheating and result in combustion leading to commercial electrical fires.
- Hot Spots: Overloaded circuits, corroded wires or connectors, loose connections, faulty fuses, imbalanced electrical loading, short circuits, switches, and breakers can generate "hot spots". This is the result of the excessive heat that builds up within the electrical panels. Infrared thermal imaging can be operated to locate these hot spots, repairs can then be done preventing electrical shortages or breakdowns that lead to fires. Small business owners can hire licensed electricians to complete the inspection.
Electrical Distribution Equipment
Periodically, electrical distribution equipment needs to be inspected and tested. The equipment should also periodically undergo thermal imaging. This work should be completed by a licensed professional. Some of the equipment requiring inspection includes:
- electrical panels, switchboards, and switchgear
- circuit breakers
- relays and contactors
- disconnect switches
- motor controls
The Fire Marshall periodically visits commercial buildings checking the fire extinguishers' expiration dates. The overhead sprinkler system, fire exit lighted signs and safe egress from the commercial building are all inspected. Prevention is the key.
Fire damage can be especially devastating for a business or commercial property. Significant water damage can be an unintended result of extinguishing a commercial fire. The fire suppression system of a commercial building (overhead fire sprinkler system) can also cause a large amount of water damage. Commercial business owners know that electrical fires negatively affect their property, the operation of the business, and the loss of revenue. However, the information above can help you take strides towards preventing these fires from happening. In the event that you find your commercial space affected by a fire, electrical or otherwise, you should know who to call to help facilitate the remediation process. As a company with extensive experience in restoring property affected by electrical fires, the professionals of SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest can provide you with the detailed assistance necessary to get your business space in working order. Contact us today for professional, personalized service.
Commercial Building Restoration Services
SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest responds quickly to your Fresno or Clovis water, fire or mold damage emergency, 24 hours a day. Whether the damage occurs in a small business building or a big box store, we have the training, experience, and equipment to handle the situation.
protecting your Commercial Property from A Fire
Commercial fires in your Fresno or Clovis business are often the most devastating reality that a property owner will have to oversee. In addition to wreaking havoc on your property, fires can force you to relocate temporarily so you can maintain running your business while the restoration process is completed. However, property owners who access and implement high-quality safety practices can often avoid the devastation and destruction that results from commercial fires. Read the brief outline provided below to learn how you can protect your property:
Conduct Fire Emergency Escape plan
As kid’s we practice an emergency escape plan at school, why don’t we as adults in the work pace.
Keep all combustible chemicals and materials away from heat-generating and electrical equipment.
Inspect your power sources regularly and don't overload your extension cords and outlets.
Teach your employees how to operate the fire extinguisher.
Other issues that should be involved in the training include:
• Breathing Apparatus Training
• First Aid Training
Call SERVPRO Immediately
Although accessing and utilizing fire prevention measures is crucial and advantageous, there is still a chance that a fire could break out on your commercial property. If this happens, you need to know who to call for fast, efficient restoration services. The company to trust is SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest where we have extensive industry experience and a passion for restoring offices to their original condition. We're ready to assist you immediately, 559-261-9765
Mold Damage tips
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest Professionals have the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
Stay out of affected areas.
Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
Contact the Professionals at SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest for mold remediation services.
What NOT to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Winter is coming!!
Winter storms can range from a moderate snow over a few hours to a blizzard with blinding, wind-driven snow that lasts for several days. Some winter storms are large enough to affect several states, while others affect only a single community. Many winter storms are accompanied by dangerously low temperatures and sometimes by strong winds, icing, sleet and freezing rain.
Regardless of the severity of a winter storm, you should be prepared in order to remain safe during these events.
Know the Difference
Winter Storm Outlook - Winter storm conditions are possible in the next 2 to 5 days.
Winter Weather Advisory - Winter weather conditions are expected to cause significant inconveniences and may be hazardous. When caution is used, these situations should not be life threatening.
Winter Storm Watch - Winter storm conditions are possible within the next 36 to 48 hours. People in a watch area should review their winter storm plans and stay informed about weather conditions.
Winter Storm Warning - Life-threatening, severe winter conditions have begun or will begin within 24 hours. People in a warning area should take precautions immediately.
Trust SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest for your restoration needs.
Know how to Prepare
- Winterize your vehicle and keep the gas tank full. A full tank will keep the fuel line from freezing.
- Insulate your home by installing storm windows or covering windows with plastic from the inside to keep cold air out.
- Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected every year.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest can handle storm damage to your business or home. Storm are unpredictable and so scary when your home is being affected. You can count on us help help get your home back and feel safe knowing when storms hit we can make it look like it never happened.
What if your office flooded?
Imagine you had a great weekend. You & your family went on a quick getaway trip, maybe up to Bass Lake Ca., or Coarsegold Ca. peddlers fair. Come Monday morning you walk into the office, and squish squish is what you hear under your feet. Oh no….. there is water EVERYWHERE! It appears a pipe busted, & by the amount of water, it didn’t just happen. No fear SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest to the rescue. Our team of highly trained professionals at SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest has the expertise that is needed to restore small, midsize, and large commercial size buildings to their pre-flood waters condition. The training that our team receives, and the equipment that we use can get these jobs done effectively and efficiently so that there will be no unnecessary delays.
A thunderstorm is considered severe if it produces hail at least 1 inch in diameter or has wind gusts of at least 58 miles per hour. Every thunderstorm produces lightning, which kills more people each year than tornadoes or hurricanes. Heavy rain from thunderstorms can cause flash flooding, and high winds can damage homes and blow down trees and utility poles, causing widespread power outages.
Know the Difference
Severe Thunderstorm Watch - Severe thunderstorms are possible in and near the watch area. Stay informed and be ready to act if a severe thunderstorm warning is issued.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning - Severe weather has been reported by spotters or indicated by radar. Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property.
Every year people are killed or seriously injured by severe thunderstorms despite advance warning. While some did not hear the warning, others heard the warning and did not pay attention to it. The information in this section, combined with timely watches and warnings about severe weather, may help save lives.
With fall just around the corner, we here in Fresno try to accomplish new goals, get a new fresh start and tidy up our homes. Getting healthy, organizing and bettering our lives' always seems to be at the top of the list. One space to start cleaning and organizing is the garage! That extra storage area that easily becomes a catchall for excess items. We have compiled a list of items that should not be stored in your garage for not only the better of the item, but also for safety. Get them out and reclaim your space.
- Paint- Because the garage is prone to extreme temperature changes, paint should not be stored in the garage. Recycle paint according to your county guidelines or donate it.
- Electronics- If you are putting electronics out in the garage, you must not be using them. Donate these items because they can’t withstand the temperature fluctuations and will easily break.
- Propane and Hazardous Chemicals- Proper ventilation is key for storage of propane and hazardous chemicals. For safety reasons, these items need to be stored outside.
- Food- Keeping food in the garage is an open invitation to rodents and insects. Although shopping in bulk can save money, storing extra food in the garage will cause problems. The moisture and humidity will spoil the food. Find room in the house for food storage.
- Cardboard boxes- Insects, mice and other rodents love cardboard. Invest in waterproof plastic bins to store your items.
Hope these tips will better assist you when cleaning up your Fresno home!
If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to call your local SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest at (559) 261-9765
Water doesn't belong there!
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest provide emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and even including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Please don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest immediately if you suspect any damage or have any questions. Contact us at (559) 261-9765
Fire Damage to your home or business
Many businesses and homes are at risk for a fire, especially when they lease older buildings in need of repairs. We know how costly and devastating a fire can be to a business or home, so it is always our goal to get you back up and running right away. SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest is committed to working around the clock to get your business or home restored as quickly and seamlessly as possible.
What to Expect When We Arrive After a Fire Loss:
1. Detailed scope of the effected areas to determine the extent of the loss.
2. Pretest affected surfaces is always performed to determine the type of smoke and which products will help us recover the area most effectively.
3. Equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage.
If a fire has damaged your business or home, call us right away at 559-261-9765. SERVPRO at Fresno Northwest will treat you with empathy, respect and care for your property.
Commercial Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
Fire damage is especially devastating for a business or commercial property. In addition to the fire and smoke damage, significant water damage from firefighting efforts and fire suppression systems may occur. SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial fire damage emergencies. Whether your fire emergency occurs in a restaurant, motel, office building or your personal home, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion.
We at SERVPRO of Fresno Northwest are available 24/7/365.